I feel like I lost an hour this morning.
Duncan's bus didn't get here till 10 after 9, which is 45 minutes later than usual.
Unstructured and unpredictable.
I couldn't "do" anything.
And some things, I complete in order, rather than at specific times.
My schedule changes every semester and right now, it kinda sucks. I leave just when everyone gets home, gets busy and need to be driven somewhere.
I "should" go out earlier on mondays and wednesdays. I know my childless colleagues often complain about.
But, the inconceivable reality is - and I mean this quite literally - there is no way that any person "on Duncan Duty" can do anything else. Not make calls. Not do dishes. Not garden and - most especially - nothing that requires quiet and patience.
No deskwork. No hobbies. No relaxation.
So, despite it being well past the time that I need to start getting dressed - as the clock, and most of the civilized world measure priorities - I can not. I can not do anything, except follow him around.
Let's see what I can remember of this morning. I will work my way backwards.
The number for bus dispatch is no longer on my phone, since an "upgrade" calamity this summer.
So, I search for it.
They have been calling Brett's cell phone.
I take this moment to update our new home phone and ask that they use my phone for contact.
Okay, he says. But I have to call the district secretary and update that info there.
This is the same b.s. with cancelling pick up.
Fine.
In the meantime, Duncan is outside.
[damn i thought the door was locked; i hope he isn't too wet; ok, i hope at least his shoes are dry]
I am lucky. He is dry.
But the bus still hasn't come and even though I locked the door to the outside, he found a balloon, which he has filled with water and is adding to the already flooded room.
He must have run down to the back door when I chased him out of the bathroom, where he eats deoderant, vicks vapo-rub, puts razors in his mouth and fills the wood drawers with water.
Now he is gone and I have to catch up, somehow.
If I'd known the bus would be late, we might have actually done something.
Cuz homework sucks.
He did get to scribble with his dry erase marker, which he did not chew.
I want to encourage his interest in music.
No comments:
Post a Comment