Wednesday, May 16, 2012

May 16 2012

Took pics of Dunc this morning.

He looks so handsome in his vintage looking polo.

I let him choose which shoes he wanted. Yesterday, when I couldn't find his shoes, I put him in my old green and blue checked Vans. So cute.

And he knew what it meant when I said "choose!" in the voice I have for years.

He put them on himself.

He made a rush for some chips this morning. Knocking things over in the way.

I took the chips. Pointed to the sign for chips and made him pick up the bottles and other things that he dropped along the way.

I can see many possibilities for the i-pad.

It's not being used that much at school. Maybe Ardene is using her phone.

But I had the moment - like I've heard Ardene describe - when I realize, "He is ready to move on. He's bored looking at that school morning visual schedule."

It's the timer that has been most noticeable necessity. I like it. It's a place holder between Duncan and I.
I have so many things going on at once and he has no self-agency.  There is no busi-ness or task or consistent behavior for which he can be held accountable.

Or so I've thought.

But here's the thing, Duncan is flexible. He definitely now knows that he can only eat in the kitchen.

He gets no more yoo hoo, but water in creaky squeezey bottles has everyone drinking more water and it's the only thing he can take back to his room.

So, we use the ipad and the calendar. I should learn Boardmaker.

Maybe keep the calendar on the ipad rather than print out. Yes. I think so.

I will have a daily planner that is his. Time of day is something I think he could understand.

I-prompt (schedules - this is a sort of planner)


No comments:

Post a Comment